And Michael did NOT cooperate for pictures. He doesn't like pictures, so he wouldn't smile for the camera. These are the best I could get.
Once you are an adult, you get one candle at our house. If I had put 36 on the cake, he may have been able to hide behind them in this picture.
Joshua was very excited to watch/help Michael open his presents. Michael really did smile - just not when the camera was pointed at him.
What kind of cake? Ice cream cake!
I have never made this before, but I decided to try something new. I made golden vanilla cake (from the box mix), and baked it in a 9-inch springform pan. When cool, I wrapped and froze it overnight. To assemble, split cake, spread strawberry ice cream topping on bottom layer, then softened strawberry ice cream, and then some more strawberry ice cream topping. Replace top and wrap in plastic wrap. Freeze 4 hours. Frost with pudding/whipped topping mixture and freeze again (3-4 hours). Kids loved it and actually ate their cake with the ice cream this time! (nevermind the sink in the middle, or the uneven frosting on either side of the cake, or the smashed right side... it tasted good.)
If I made it for myself, it would have been chocolate cake with mint or rasberry chip ice cream and chocolate fudge frosting. Michael prefers anything but chocolate so we made it strawberry and vanila.











4 comments:
LOVE the cake!! I might need a more detailed recipe for the frosting though. I'm SO with you on the chocolate!!! MMMMMM!
Ice Cream Cake Frosting:
1 box pudding (I used white chocolate) and 1 cup milk. When combined, add 1 tub Cool Whip. (8 oz. for 1 cake, 16 oz. for two cakes.)
It freezes just fine, or you can frost a cake and refrigerate it - just not an ice cream cake. :)
I have also read that "Magic Shell" makes a good ice cream cake topping.
I know I am late but happy birthday Michael!
kristy, what size pudding box? that sounds delicous!
Post a Comment