This post is all about Miriam! The last few have highlighted her siblings so it's time to talk about all the wonderful things Miriam is doing.
Miriam is in 1st grade and loves it. She has two teachers. One teaches in the morning and the other teacher comes after lunch. I like it. Between the two of them, they should be able to come up with work to keep Miriam from getting bored. So far, they are still "assessing the students" and Miriam thinks school is boring. This is because she is an excellent reader and loves to read. Her favorite books are Junie B. Jones and the Little House on the Prairie series. I have started reading books by Judy Bloom to her and her sister and they love them too. As for 1st grade math, "it's boring." My smart girl has already mastered single number addition, but that's what they are working on right now. I'm glad she loves doing her homework and gets it done fast when she comes home. Sometimes I have to talk her into not doing the whole week's worth of math the teacher sends home on Mondays. She wants to do it all at once instead of one page each night. So school has it's ups and downs for Miriam.
My favorite time of day with Miriam is picking her up from school. Ever since she started kindergarten last year, she has greeted me with a great big smile, and charged me to give a big hug. I love it! Now as a big 1st grader she still does it. I just can't forget to brace for the impact. Miriam can knock me over if I'm not ready for the hug. :) It's usually accompanied by multiple expressions of "I love you Mom" and "I missed you all day, Mom."
One of Miriam's favorite jobs at home is washing the pans while doing dishes. It's fun to fill the sink with lots and lots of water and Tablespoons of dish soap to stir while the pan sits in the bottom. Sometimes there is more water on the floor and counter than in the sink, but she is a great helper regardless.
Sometimes when the homework is done, dinner is over, and dishes are finished, Miriam likes to play outside in the backyard with her brothers and older sister. Her favorite place is the dirt pile! (imagine that!) No dirt is as fun to look at, as it is to roll in. Once one kid has found the dirt pile, it's bath night for them all. Often it includes spraying the dirt out of their hair first before running the bath water. So if I can keep Miss Miriam out of the dirt, the rest will usually stay away too.
Some other things Miriam is good at are: spelling, drawing, singing, arts and crafts, storytelling, and being a friend.
She is a very nice and good girl. (Miriam told me to write that sentence.)
I love my Miriam!
"and I love my Mom" - (Miriam told me to write this too)









1 comment:
That's so funny with the homework - most kids would drag it out as long as possible!
Here's some ideas for math practice games so maybe she won't have to do all her homework in one day:
play dominos - add up the numbers on the domino before you play it. (Works great with multiplication too)
"Slap Jack" - use skipbo or phase 10 or Poker Cards (minus the face cards), whoever shouts outs the sum of the two cards flipped over first gets to keep them.
I'm glad you like school Miriam!!
Have you read 'Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle' books? They are really funny.
Aunt Lori
Post a Comment