Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Picnic in the Mountains

We thought it would be fun to take the kids up the canyon for a picnic in the mountains.  It is only our 2nd trip ever.  Last time we did it, Adam was the 4-month old baby.  So it's been 3 years.  Yes, that shows how often this Mom really thinks about driving up in the mountains and building a campfire (and trying to convince the kids to use the outhouse).  :)  Well, we did it.  We packed food for hotdogs, chips, and smores.  When the girls got out of school, we drove to a picnic area in the canyon next to the river, which was Michael's requirement, and unloaded our stuff.  First things first, Joshua had to roll in the dirt.  He wasn't used to non-flat terrain and couldn't stay on his feet.  He was adorable walking up the side of the mountain, and even funnier as he sat on his bum and scooted back down.  He couldn't quite figure out how to walk downhill.  While Joshua was treating the mountainside as a slide, the oldest three ran all over gathering sticks for the fire.  We brought logs, but needed smaller stuff to get the fire going.  Michael got the job of building the fire, and I found sticks to roast hot dogs and marshmallows.  

I had to take a picture of him covered in dirt, and Dorito cheese.  This was the beginning of our picnic, so he got a lot worse before we went home.  I think I washed his hands at least twice by the time this picture was taken.  It didn't help, they were constantly covered in dirt, food, charcoal, and sticks.  He loved it!  In fact, I found myself washing kids hands over and over the whole time.  

Three of my cute kids sit down for dinner of hotdogs and doritos.  A kid's dream- no veggies! (Although, at home they get to eat one bite of veggies for each year of their age.  It's a rule we started when Emily was about 2, and they all have accepted it.  They don't have to eat their vegetables, but if they don't, they can't have seconds on any other food so they usually end up eating them.)

After hotdogs, the kids explored the area near the river.  Yes, that's 4 active kids who run in separate directions at once.  Emily even brought her bug vacuum.  It's her second one.  Her birthday vacuum broke, so she bought another one with her birthday money.  I had to laugh when she declared, "there are no bugs in the mountains!"  She just didn't look hard enough.  Eventually, she found some and the show-and-tell began.

The kids finally discover the river.  They threw rocks in the water forever.  Even Joshua got down by the edge of the water to throw rocks.  In fact, we couldn't drag him away.  He wanted to stay.  After a really long time for the parents, we finally got the kids back to the fire to roast marshmallows.  Joshua wouldn't come.  He fought Michael, kicking and screaming, all 31 lbs. of himself, back to the picnic table because he wanted to be by the river.  He even tried to run back to the water when Michael put him down, but once he saw the marshmallows his whole attitude changed and he was all for dessert.  Chocolate, graham crackers, marshmallows, he had it all.

Michael was busy cooking lots of hotdogs, 1 or 2 at a time, for 4 hungry kids.  After the kids were full, Michael finally got to make his own hotdog.  


Olivia was all eyes in the mountains.  She soaked in all the new sights and loved sitting up to see even more.  She didn't like the campfire smoke that kept following her around.  

So it was a really fun time.  They kids were so excited to do something different.  I loved seeing them enjoy nature - and I do like nature too.  I love how peaceful it is away from everything.  I love the trees, the sound of the river, and the fresh mountain air.  But having said that, I don't think our family will be taking any overnight camping trips anytime soon.  Another picnic, absolutely.  Just as long as it is over and we are home in time for everyone to have a BATH before bedtime.  ;)  

A short note on Olivia:  At her doctor's appointment on Monday, she was barely 12 lbs., and almost 24" long (23.88" to be exact).  She is in the 12th percentile at 4 months old, and strong and healthy - just petite.

6 comments:

Lori said...

That looks like you had a lot of fun! Have you ever thought of doing a "backyard campout"? (That way no one will be afraid to use the potty!!)

Kristy said...

yes, but the kids think it's an adventure to go somewhere. for their sakes, we have to get out once in a while. :)

by the way, no-one would use the outhouse - too stinky and too many flying bugs, so I got to teach the kids to pee in the woods. quite the experience!

Sheila said...

Kristy! Hey it's Sheila from good ol Country Woods!! I was excited to see your blog and your FAMILY!!! WHOA!!! You guys look fabulous! We have a blog, if you'd like to keep in touch, capellclan.blogspot.com So great to see you guys!

Love, the Capells!

Morgan said...

You are so brave! Jamie wants to go on a camping trip and I just can't fathom getting Carter to go to sleep in the wilderness! Did you take a port-a-crib?

There is seriously nothing better than eating s'mores!

Kristy said...

Luckily, we didn't stay overnight! It was just an afternoon picnic. But if we did an overnighter, I would definitely take a port-a-crib for the baby.

The more I think about it, I can't see any overnight camping in our immediate future. Not with kids this little anyway. :)

Valerie said...

What a fun time. These are the things that make the best memories. It's hard to know in the moment of it all, but you'll never remember and neither will the kids. Looks like you had a good time.