School is out for the summer and the kids needed something to do.
Costco had strawberries at a really good price, so I decided to teach the kids how to make jam.
Emily stemmed all the strawberries and handed them to Miriam to smash with the potato masher. Then, they had to measure the sugar. I can't count how many times they lost track of how many cups of sugar they measured into their bowls and had to start over. Once they were sure they got it right, they got to stir in the mashed berries and pectin.
This is a picture near the beginning of the project BEFORE we spilled juice and sugar all over everything.

Miriam let the boys help - by holding her spoon while she stirred it.
So, in all we made 8 1/2 QUARTS (not pints) of freezer jam - just over 2 gallons!
it only took 8 lbs of strawberries, about 10 lbs. of sugar, 6 boxes of pectin, LOTS of dishes, and a couple of hours. Don't forget baths too.
While we made jam, I also made a batch of bread to go with it. Can you believe we ate half a quart of jam that night?
While we made jam, I also made a batch of bread to go with it. Can you believe we ate half a quart of jam that night?









No comments:
Post a Comment