Monday, April 26, 2010

Neighborhood birthday party

The doorbell rang last week.  I answered it and found my daughter's friend at the door with homemade invitations to her birthday party.  She told me to give her Mom a call and let her know if my kids would be there.

A few days later, I remembered to call to R.S.V.P.  My friend answered the phone and I thanked her for inviting my daughters to the party and told her that they were really excited about it and would be there for sure!  My friend tried to downplay the whole party idea and told me to not make too big a deal.  Her daughter really didn't need presents, so we shouldn't spend a lot of money on it.  They were just going to play games and might have cake or something like that. 

We chatted some more, and then the truth came out.  My friend had no idea there was going to be a party on Saturday!  Her daughter made the invitations by herself and handed them out without her mother's knowledge.  My friend had no idea what the invitations even said, or what time the party was, or even how many people to expect!

I couldn't help it.  I had to help her out.  I made cupcakes.

The day of the party arrived.  The 9 kids that were invited played games, ate cupcakes and ice cream, and had a blast.

My friend survived.  And so did her 10-year old daughter.

I really wonder what I would do if one of my daughters invited all the neighborhood kids for a birthday party without telling me.  Michael said he would applaud his daughter's independence if she ever got enough guts to do something like this.  I'm not sure "applaud" is how I would choose to handle it.

What would you do?

5 comments:

Morgan said...

Ha ha ha! I think I would have to laugh if it were me. Kids do the funniest things and I would try not to waste time being upset.
That is hilarious to think about!

Angie and J.D. said...

I agree with Morgan! That's pretty dang funny!

Lori said...

I think this would be the perfect opportunity to teach a child just how much work a party really is! I can hear the whining now... but I don't want to clean up this mess... :-)

To Life said...

How funny! You were a tender mercy it sounds, by letting your friend know about the upcoming "surprise" party! What a funny memory too. If that ever happens to me, I just hope it's on a day when the house isn't already a disaster. Maybe I'd make them party outside in one of the barns!

~M said...

This is simply the best story I've heard in a while! I love it! Of course it's easier to love it when it's not my own daughter's doings...I wonder if Teyah would survive? hmm...