14 years ago
Friday, April 16, 2010
Oatmeal
About twice a month, 6 members of my family get to enjoy their favorite breakfast. For the remaining 9-year old holdout, the alternative is worse than death.
I am talking about oatmeal.
There are many ways to make oatmeal.
You could make an instant package of oatmeal in about a minute in the microwave. It has a smooth, gluey texture, and way more sugar added than is necessary. In fact, if an instant package of oatmeal is the only option, I mix it half and half with a regular package to tone down the sugar.
You could make regular oatmeal, and wait the 10 minutes for the rolled oats to cook. Then add your own sugar, and choice of flavor. We like applesauce, sugar, cinnamon, and sometimes strawberry freezer jam, just not all at once. Regular oats have texture. You can chew them.
Or, you can buy the oat groats and roll them yourself, adding a bit of rolled wheat for added flavor. It takes about an hour to make breakfast, but if you have a lot of time on your hands... (I love my Dad).
If you know me, you guessed we had regular oatmeal. That would be 7 cups of water, and 3 1/2 cups of oats!
As the smell of simmering breakfast invaded the kitchen yesterday, Emily began the normal rant,
"Mom! (in singsong whine) I hate oatmeal! You know I hate oatmeal! (stomp) Why do you ALWAYS have to make oatmeal?!!" (throw something, or collapse in a heap)
Reminding Emily that sometimes, her siblings need to experience their favorite breakfast doesn't go over very well. And for the 5 people who are reading this and wondering why Emily can't just have toast instead, I have a reason. On more than one occasion when Emily has actually taken a bite, she has admitted out loud that it's not as bad as she thought and has eaten the oatmeal.
Later, during breakfast (at which my boys can consume 3 bowls to my 1 bowl) Miriam heaped on the praise:
Miriam: "Mom, this oatmeal is sooooo goooood. How did you do it?" (Miriam ALWAYS compliments the food. No matter what it is.)
Me: (trying to hold a strait face) "Well, Miriam, I have had lots of practice." (as I patted her on the shoulder and grinned at Michael across the table - who is trying not to laugh and choke on his mouthful. After all, it is only oatmeal! You boil water and salt, you add the oats and stir. Don't let it overflow the 4 quart saucepan.)
I should mention that this whole time Emily has sat staring at her small bowl of oatmeal. She occasionally stirs it, and leans back in her seat uninterested as her brothers keep asking for more. In fact, if the options were oatmeal or death, I'm quite sure what she would choose.
The conversation (I mean mocking) continues:
Miriam: "Mom, when I grow up, I'm coming to your house every day for dinner."
Me: "but Miriam, what if your husband doesn't like my cooking?"
Michael: (under his breath) "Not likely"
Me: "what if your husband would rather stay home and eat YOUR cooking?"
Me: "and what if your husband likes his mother's cooking more than mine and asks you to learn all his family recipes?"
I don't remember Miriam's answers were, but Michael thought it all was rather funny. Especially the part about learning the family recipes. He did that to me.
:)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









3 comments:
Very cute story! We were just talking about "real" oatmeal yesterday! My favorite was at my grandma's growing up, with butter and brown sugar stirred in. When my kids don't like something, I suggest they lick it and try 2 small bites, "just in case you grew a new taste bud!" I tell them how my taste buds totally changed while I grew up and I like completely different stuff. It works over here anyway...eventually. (I learned that from some therapy ideas for Bridger too, to get him to try different foods/textures.)
Speaking of oats, I remember you and the box of Cracklin' Oat Bran (or something), and how your family would color in part of the "O" to make it say "Cat Bran".
I think I'm with Emily on the oatmeal thing! Just tell her she can eat the oatmeal or walk to Aunt Lori's house and she will make her toast. It's only 200 miles... and hurry up or you'll be late for school!! (Then brace yourself for more whining.)
This is really funny!
Post a Comment