Monday, August 30, 2010

Two-Buck Tuesdays!

Our last field trip of the summer was to Thanksgiving Point's Museum of Ancient Life, or as my children affectionately call it:
THE DINOSAUR MUSEUM!!!!! 
(yes, all caps and exclamation points are necessary when saying it.)

So why pay regular price when you can go on Two-Buck Tuesdays?  Two-year olds are free.  The kids and I could all get in for just 10 bucks!  What a deal!

Evidently half the state of Utah had the same thought process.  The parking lot was packed when we arrived 15 minutes before they opened.

This is the line ahead of us:


and behind:

We waited 25 minutes in line before we got in.  Miriam had to have her picture taken in front of this mural on the side of the building.  

The kids weren't too thrilled with the precambrian room.  When I tried to get Miriam to stand next to a trilobite for a photo, she told me, "Mom (eyeroll), you already have a trilobite at home!  Why do you need a picture of one?"  Thankfully, Joshua consented to stand in front of the mollusks for a picture.  For some reason invertibrates aren't very interesting compared to dinosaurs.


Finally!  the dinosaur section!



Part of the agreement of visiting the museum on a discount day is the acceptance that you will move through the museum as if in a line, with wall-to-wall people.  Everyone was polite and kind, but I really missed my personal space.  For example, the sand and water table was so crowded, the kids barely found a corner to squeeze in.    Take a look!


The oldest three had fun moving the sand around.  Olivia wanted to play too, so I pushed her stroller over and let her stand in it to reach.  Under no circumstance did Joshua want to get near the water.  He might get wet.


Adam's favorite dinosaur.


I liked these fish. (and Emily let me take her picture!)


Animals are strange without skin.


It took a lot of convincing to get the kids to stand this close to the shark for a picture.  It was scary.


Miriam didn't like the "skeletons that look like people."


Adam loved digging in the sand for bones. 

The boys' favorite thing was this puzzle in the gift shop.  At Thankgiving point it was about $16.99.  With a discount coupon, I can get the same puzzle from Robert's Crafts for 40-50% off!  Any guesses on what Joshua might be getting for his birthday?


We LOVED the museum, but next time will make sure we don't visit on Two-Buck Tuesdays.  Personal space is worth full price.

1 comment:

Lori said...

That looks like a really fun time. I agree... personal space is worth it!