Thursday, July 22, 2010

Mrs. Cavanaugh's chocolate factory



The tour really doesn't show how they make their chocolates.  First we watched a movie on where chocolate comes from.  It was interesting, but the kids were wiggly by the end.  

Next, we looked through a window to see where they make the candy.  As you can see by the photo, almost no one is there.  One person is removing chocolates from one machine as they come out, but apart from that, the room is empty.  



They did show another video that showed how fondant is covered with chocolate.  I was hoping to see more actual production and less video.

One of my kids' favorite parts of the tour was seeing Mrs. Cavanaugh's train.  One one side of this room is the train, and on the other side, we watched the "I Love Lucy" episode where she dips chocolates.


Joshua really really wanted to touch the train, but he didn't.



The best part of the tour - a free sample at the end!


The hardest part - choosing what chocolate to bring home.

6 comments:

Angie and J.D. said...

I felt the same way when I went there also!! It was so much movie :) I went to Sweet's Candy and it was SOOOO much better!! Have you heard of that one? They take you all around the factory and REALLy hands on. It's free too!! :)

Andrea and Eric said...

I was just going to say that Ang! We loved the Sweet's Candy factory! You actually get to walk around the factory and see the candy being made. Definately worth the trip!

Kristy said...

thanks Angie and Andrea. I'll have to take the kids to the Sweet's Candy factory now.

Lori said...

Mmmmm... Chocolate... YUMMY!
At least you got a treat! :-)
And there was a train, so it couldn't have been that boring!!

Lori said...

Hi Kristy!
I stumbled across your blog and it is so cute. We have parallel families, I think :) We did a tour of same place a couple of weeks ago and I thought it was bad! You can check out my blog at http://crazyboyerblog.blogspot.com/

TP said...

So I went to http://www.blurb.com and set up an account. I had to download there blurb software but it was quick and easy. Then I just followed the steps of logging in to by blog account and choosing which blogs I wanted to include in the book. Once they were all in I revised it. They send it to the actual website when you are completely finished and you can order it online. It was actually pretty easy. If you need more help let me know and I'll go more in depth about the steps and whatnot. I love my books though and it was a very reasonable price in my opinion.